Current Student? Go Here for Your Information
Stationed Overseas? UMUC Europe | UMUC Asia

Get Started at UMUC (Army Students)

Enroll in 5 Easy Steps

It's easy for military students to start or continue their education in the United States. If you are a new student ready to enroll in courses or programs offered by UMUC Stateside, follow the steps below.


Step 1: Apply for admission

All active-duty, National Guard and Selected Reserve Army students seeking to complete a degree with UMUC and collect tuition assistance from the Army need to apply to the university through the GoArmyEd portal using the Common Application.

Soldiers who are new to using Tuition Assistance (TA) may access the GoArmyEd portal by following these steps: 

  • Connect to GoArmyEd and select the “New Users” tab in the top-right corner of the screen.
  • Provide the required, requested information and click “Submit.” You will then receive your username and password. 
  • Complete the "Prospective User Checklist" displayed on your new GoArmyEd Prospective Student View.
  • After completing these steps, including contacting your Army Education Center to activate your records, then you can proceed and submit your Common Application.

Soldiers with activated accounts who have selected UMUC as their home college and have updated their information in GoArmyEd may go directly to GoArmyEd and complete the Common Application.*


Common Application


How to Submit the Common Application

  • Connect to GoArmyEd; log in using your username and password 
  • Go to "My Virtual Education Center" located on the main page
  • Click on “Before You Enroll In a Course”
  • Click on “Complete/Update Common Application"
  • Complete all required fields indicated; save and submit the document

* Important Information

  • Make sure to designate University of Maryland University College as your "Home College." UMUC cannot see or receive your Common Application if your home college is not listed as University of Maryland University College.
  • Only your Army Education Counselor can officially change your "Home College" in GoArmyEd. This cannot be done by a student or the school. 
  • Students who are staying with UMUC but wish to change their degree program or level (from bachelor's to master's degree program) need their Army Education Counselor to make these changes and then will need to resubmit their Common Application. 

Once your application is submitted, an account will be created with UMUC and a $50 non-refundable application fee will be generated on your UMUC account. The fee will not be refunded if you choose not to complete the admissions process, cancel the application, choose not to enroll or disagree with the University’s admission decision.

Note: Failure to pay the application fee may result in your account being put on hold or a block on your registration for future courses. We advise you to pay the fee as soon as possible. This can be done online through your MyUMUC account, which will be created and sent to you soon after we receive your application to the school. 

  • If you are transferring from UMUC Europe or UMUC Asia, you do not have to apply for admission again or pay another application fee. Instead, complete the brief Relocation Request Form.
  • If you are applying for the Doctor of Management program, please complete an Application for Admission. There is a non-refundable application processing fee of $100 for the Doctor of Management program.

Step 2: Provide necessary documentation to UMUC


To be fully admitted to UMUC, all students must submit official transcripts from Joint Services Transcript (JST), any previous institutions attended, any official score reports for CLEP/DSST/AP/DLPT and a copy of high school transcripts for those students who have completed fewer than 24 semester hours of collegiate credits at prior institutions. This is critical for having your Degree Audit processed. Audits will not be processed until ALL required documents are received. A student’s Degree Audit must be completed before a Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) agreement can be processed since this agreement is based upon the official audit.

Military ID
Unlike other branches, Army students who register through GoArmyEd do not need to fax a copy of their military ID or military orders with a note attached indicating they recently submitted an admission application.

In the event that there are concerns regarding this matter and a photocopy of a military ID or orders are needed, these can be faxed to Undergraduate Admissions at 301-985-7978.

Step 3: Plan which course(s) you want to take


After submitting your Common Application, UMUC will begin to create your student file. You should then receive an e-mail within two to three business days including your seven-digit student ID number and password. UMUC uses an online student services system called MyUMUC, which can be accessed once you receive your student ID and password.

While you are waiting for your password, take the time to review the degree requirements for your major. Use the Degree Planning Worksheets to determine which courses you need to take. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Military Advising.

Forgot your MyUMUC password? Go to MyUMUC and select the "Login/Password Help" link located underneath the login box on MyUMUC.


Step 4: Register for courses


All active and Selective Reserve Army students who wish to receive Tuition Assistance (TA) for their course(s) must register through the GoArmyEd portal. The courses are available for registration in GoArmyEd two months prior to the course start date. 

Step 5: Pay for your courses


All Army students who register for courses via GoArmyEd will be prompted to verify the correct payment information prior to completing any course registration.As students proceed through the steps, the "Enrollment Request Information" screen will be displayed. Please be sure to review the class cost information closely—pay attention to the class cost covered by TA (in the GoArmyEd Amount field) and the class cost that you must self-pay (in the Student Amount field). Any amount listed in the "Student Amount" field will then be billed to you by UMUC. 

Note: Any registrations that take place outside of the GoArmyEd portal will generate a charge on a student’s UMUC account, which the student must pay. Information on tuition rates for the military can be found on the Tuition and Fees page.

Spouses and Dependents: Spouses of active-duty servicemembers are also eligible for the military tuition rate upon submission of either their dependent military ID or form DD1172. Under some circumstances, dependent children of active-duty military may be eligible for the military tuition rate. For more information, contact our Residency Office at

If you have any questions, feel free to call us at 877-275-8682 or e-mail us at